This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NatureMadeHealthPack #CollectiveBias
“This blog does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult with your healthcare practitioner.”
I wasn’t always as healthy as I’m right now, actually I remember about 15 years ago not eating to avoid gaining weight, such a bad idea! I think it was in my 20’s when I decided to start eating as healthy as possible and exercise regularly, but the big page turner was 10 years ago when the doctor told my mom she was insulin-resistance .
It was extremely difficult for my mom to switch from a life filled with sugar to a healthy lifestyle, I saw how she suffered because she wasn’t able to eat all the foods she liked, she was in a bad mood and made our lives very difficult, specially during celebrations.
My mom’s insulin-resistance made me realize my family and I could be on the road to needing a low-glycemic index diet, so I started to make some healthy changes.
It is not that difficult to live a healthy lifestyle, all you need is willingness, organization and when it comes to the kids you’ll need some tricks. Here are 5 Easy Healthy Habits for the Whole Family.
1 Little Changes Go A Long Way
I grew up eating cereal for dinner and it’s a very hard habit to break when you’re older and eating sugar at night it’s not healthy! So I’ve been making my kids other types of dinner such as; fish with veggies, eggs, rice cake sandwiches, chicken salad. I’m not saying to stop buying cereal today, but start introducing your children with healthy dinners and continue until cereal is only a treat at night.
2 Make Exercise a Habit not an Obligation
I exercise everyday, rain or shine. I do exercise videos at home and I run and my kids see me working out, so they know the importance of staying healthy. My kids play soccer and tennis, but if there’s no practice that day they have to exercise for at least 1hr before playing something else, sometimes I take them with me running, we started about 2 months ago and now they can run 1 mile without stopping, I also make them walk everywhere. But biking or using their scooter is a great way to stay active. I’m teaching them to love to exercise, I want exercise to be part of their lifestyle and not an obligation
3 Switch the Juice for Water
Did you know that the apple juice has an average of 39 grams of sugar that’s about 9.8 teaspoons of sugar! I drink lots of water and my kids see me with a bottle of water on my hand all the time, is a habit for me and wanted to do the same for my children so each morning when I fill my bottle of water I fill theirs and I always have a pitcher of water in the kitchen.
Getting everyone on board hasn’t been easy, some family members really like sugar and bad carbs, but little by little everyone has come around.
This healthy lifestyle has really worked for my mom who manages her type 2 diagnosis. With a diet, regular exercise, insulin, and supplements she has been able to enjoy life again.
Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack, is perfect for her, not only because is scientifically formulated to supply nutritional support for people with diabetes or prediabetes. † but because it provides nutrients you might be lacking from your diet. † and each pack contains a key combination of essential nutrients for Diabetics. † like my mom.
Being healthy starts at the store, so before you go grocery shopping you should know how to shop.
4. Carefully Read Food Labels, here’s what to look for:
- Servings.The amounts on the label are for a single serving, if you’re eating more than one serving add the numbers to get the right amount.
- Fat If most of the fat comes from healthy unsaturated fat, you’re probably good to go. If the fat is mainly saturated and or the product has any trans fat, PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELF! If the food contains ingredient such as; list: hydrogenated oil or shortening there is trans fat in there.
- Sodium Use this general rule; 5% Daily Value or less of sodium per serving is low and 20% Daily valueV or more of sodium per serving is high.
- Fiber Look for at least 3g per serving in any food that contains grains, such as bread, crackers, pasta including some soups.
- Sugars This word on the food labels is very general, a better way is to read the ingredients and look for added sugars, such as; palm sugar,corn sweetener, brown rice syrup or malt syrup. And words ending in ose, like fructose or glucose are NO!
- The Order DOES matter When reading the ingredients, the order they’re listed matters, the higher up on the list an ingredient is, the more of it a product contains, this makes it easy to recognize products the contain a lot of sugar.
- Vitamins & Minerals These could vary a lot, but as a general rule, a food that contains anywhere from 10 percent to 19 percent of the Daily value, you’re good to go because it is a good source of a nutrient.
- Whole grains The clue is to look for the word whole before any grain, such as whole wheat, the word enriched before a grain, it’s a sign that the grain has been refined, meaning is not healthy.
5. Trick the Kids
Helping my mom, get accustom to a healthy diet was a difficult, but getting my kids to eat healthier has been a tough journey. For the last 3 years, I have been teaching them to make healthy choices, I avoid saying, “You can’t eat that” or “That would make you fat” instead I have been explaining to them how our body works and why we should make healthy choices when it comes to food, it hasn’t always been easy, so I trick them, not as much as before but I still do these tricks:
- Kids love pasta, so opt for whole grain
- Add more veggies than pasta into their bowl. I add the veggies first, about one cup and 1/2 cup of pasta and mix it well.
Here’s a tip, cut the veggies very fine so they can hardly notice them.
- Try switching pasta for quinoa. Add a little bit of quinoa to their food such as salads, so they get accustomed to the taste. My kids now love it!
- Switch ingredients to make their favorite food. I discovered whole grain popcorn and we love it, I even eat it! You can also make their favorite cookies or cakes with whole-wheat pastry flour instead of white flour.
- Choose healthy snacks. I know is difficult and time consuming to make their snacks from scratch, but pick a day to make some snacks for the week, such as granola bites, they take less than 30 minutes to make and you can even freeze them!
In general, taking vitamins makes a huge difference to stay healthy, so if you’re managing your diagnosis with insulin or a low-glycemic diet like my mom is, Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack provides essential vitamins and minerals for daily nutritional support. † as well as omega-3 fatty acids that help support a healthy heart. † Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack, inspires healthy choices for general population including those who are Pre-Diabetic or Diabetic to live a healthy lifestyle. †
It’s much easier to stay healthy as a family, remember you’re your kids’ role model so lead by example, Healthy MOM, Healthy kids. Start applying some of these easy changes at home and remember that Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack provides daily nutritional support for a Diabetic to live a healthy lifestyle. And it’s the
† These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases.